Things pretty much went as planned, but I didn't expect vShield Manager (vSM) to choke on the changes: when updating the uplink names for the DVS that provided the VXLAN port group, I expected vSM to recognize the changes and handle creation of new VXLAN networks without issue. I was wrong.
The first symptom that I had an issue was the inability of vCloud Director (vCD) to create a new Organizational Network on a deployed Edge device:
Oops. I hadn't updated the portgroup for VXLAN after moving the uplinks around, although I had done so for the other portgroups on the DVS.
Time to restart vSM to get it to re-read the vCenter DVS config, right? Wrong. Even with a restart & re-entering the vCenter credentials, the state persisted.
At this point, my Google-fu failed me: no useful hits on a variety of search terms. Time to hit the VMware Community Forums with a question. Luckily, I received a promising answer in just a day or two.
I learned that one can use the REST API for vSM to reconfigure it, which can get it back in line with reality. But how do you work with arbitrary REST calls? It turns out, there's a REST client plug-in for Firefox, written to troubleshoot and debug REST APIs. It works a treat:
- Set up the client for authenticated headers
- Retrieve the DVS configuration as an XML blob in the body of a GET call
- Modify the XML blob so that it has the correct properties
- PUT the revised XML blob back to vSM.
|1) Use an Authenticated GET on the switches API|
|2) Using the objectId of the desired DVS, get the specific switch data|
|3) Update the XML blob with the correct uplink names|
|4) PUT the revised XML blob|
- REST Client for Firefox is awesome for arbitrary interaction with a REST API
- Sometimes, the only way to accomplish a goal is through the API; a GUI or CLI command may not exist to fix your problem.
- This particular fix allows you to arbitrarily rename your uplinks without having to reset the vShield Manager database and completely reinstall it to get VXLAN working again.